The One Day World Cricket Cup is a huge tournament in the world of cricket, it is played every 4 years. In such a situation, to win any tournament, the cooperation and hard work of the entire team is required, but if there is a player who dominates throughout the tournament and makes a name for himself, then this player is chosen as the Player of the Match. Tournament by ICC.
It is not necessary that he will get the trophy only if his team wins the World Cup. Rather, it is given to the player who performs best among players from all countries in this tournament. So today we will see the list of those players, this list starts from 1992 till 2019 only.
1992 to 2019: Player of the Tournament Winner list
List of Player of the Tournament winners in the ODI World Cup from 1992 to 2019.
1. Martin Crowe in 1992: Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe performed brilliantly for his team in 1992, he played nine innings in this tournament in which he scored 456 runs, due to which his team also reached the semi-finals.
2. Sanath Jayasuriya in 1996: Sri Lankan left-handed batsman Sanath Jayasuriya had performed very well, due to which his team was successful in winning the tournament. Jayasuriya scored a total of 281 runs with the bat and also took 6 wickets in bowling. Therefore this player received the Player of the Tournament award in the year 1996.
3. Lance Klusener in 1999: South Africa's dangerous all-rounder Lance Klusener scored 221 runs with his batting in the 1999 ODI World Cup and was successful in taking 17 wickets with his bowling. The South African team lost in the semi-finals. Klusener was named Player of the Tournament for his excellent performance.
4. Sachin Tendulkar in 2003: Sachin Tendulkar, the God of the cricket world and the great batsman of Indian cricket, who also holds the record of scoring the most runs in the ODI World Cup. In the 2003 World Cup, Sachin scored 673 runs in 11 innings. However, Sachin could not win the title for India with his arrogance and the team lost to Australia in the final.
5. Glenn McGrath in 2007: Australia has excellent fast bowlers. Australia team has won the ODI World Cup three times in a row, McGrath had a big contribution in this. He took 26 wickets in 11 matches in the ODI World Cup 2007 and hence was awarded the Player of the Tournament award.
6. Yuvraj Singh in 2011: In 2011, the Indian team ended its 28-year-old wait to win the ODI World Cup after 1983 and defeated Sri Lanka in the final. India's brilliant all-rounder Yuvraj Singh was chosen as the Player of the Tournament, Yuvraj scored 362 runs with his batting and took 11 wickets.
7. Mitchell Starc in 2015: Australia won its fifth ODI World Cup title in the year 2015. Fast bowler Mitchell Starc had a big contribution in this victory and he took 22 wickets in eight matches at an economy of 3.50.
8. Kane Williamson in 2019: New Zealand captain Williamson scored 578 runs in nine matches. Williamson played a brilliant innings which helped his team reach the finals. But luck did not favor them in the final and they lost to England in the final.
Who do you think will be the best player of the tournament in the 2023 World Cup? From my point of view, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Jos Buttler and Kane Williamson seem to be the players.