Cats, along with dogs, are among the most popular pets in the world. However, not all of their breeds live in cozy apartments - a countless number of these creatures still lead a wild and free way of life. And, if you think about it, a lot of facts about cats we simply do not know, despite the fact that they live with us in the neighborhood.
Interesting facts about cats:
1. The ancestors of modern domestic cats are myacids, small animals that lived in trees more than 40 million years ago. The first representatives of cats in their usual form appeared about 12 million years ago.
2. Cats cannot taste sweet things.
3. The pet cat door was invented by the eminent scientist Isaac Newton.
4. Cats(males) are mostly left-handed and cats(females) are mostly right-handed.
5. Cat owners are 17% more likely to be degree holders.
6. Many people are amused when cats rub their feet, although in fact the animals are just marking their territory.
7. Cats' brains are similar to human brains in many ways - the same areas are responsible for emotions.
8. Cats reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes in their owners by about a third.
9. The vast majority of cat owners (95%) talk to their pets.
10. The first cat to which an owner gave a name lived in ancient Egypt. Her loving owner named her Nedjem, which translates to "sweet".
11. Cats are mentally inferior to dogs, but they can solve more complex problems if they want to.
12. Contrary to popular belief, many cats cannot tolerate milk. It is best not to feed raw fish to cats either.
13. The frequency of cats purring coincides with the rate of muscle and bone recovery.
14. Cats are capable of making about 100 sounds, while dogs are capable of making only ten.
15. Cats spend about 70% of their lives sleeping.
16. The body length of the largest cat exceeded 1.2 meters.
17. To move their ears, cats use about 20 muscles.
18. There are approximately 500 million domestic cats in the world.
19. Dusty the cat made it into the Guinness Book of World Records because of her fertility - she gave birth to 420 kittens.
20. One-third of cat owners believe their furry pets can read their minds.
21. Cats sniff food before they eat it because that's how they determine its temperature.
22. According to some reports, Napoleon Bonaparte was terrified of cats (see interesting facts about Napoleon).
23. A cat named Stubbs was mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. Another cat tried to become the head of Mexico City in 2013.
24. In the original version of the Cinderella tale, the fairy godmother was a cat.
25. In Britain and Australia, black cats are believed to bring good luck.