It is a fungal dermatophyte infection of the skin, the scalp, or the nails.
• Dermatophyte fungi Example, Microsporum • Trichophyton • Epidermophyton • Contagious (it spread to the skin contact with a person or animal).
1. Athlete's foot (Tinea pedis) between the toe
2. Tinea capitis (Ringworm of scalp)
3. Tinea cruris (groin, thighs)
4. Tinea barbae (under a beard)
Source Of Infection
1. Zoophilic (animals to man) 2. Anthropophilic (man to man) 3. Geophilic (soil to man)
• Ring like rashes • Intense itching • Pustules • Small vesicles • Continuous spread to the surrounding area • Hair falls in the affected area • Red patches • Rough friable nails.
Topical • Miconazole 2% • Clotrimazole 1% • Ketoconazole 1%
• Fluconazole 150 mg • Itraconazole • Terbinafine
Topical steroids Example, Betamethasone
Antihistamine/antiallergic For example, levocetirizine hydrochloride 5 mg
Application of topical antifungal powder.
• Advice washing one-two times per day with warm water and mild soap then apply talcum powder. • Encourage wearing cotton socks and underwear and light clothes to promote evaporation. • Wash contaminated clothes in hot water. • Do not scratch by nails while itching if scratching, wash the nail before touching other body parts.