Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Unlike a summer salad, which has a bounty of fresh fruit and vegetables to choose from, this winter salad makes the most of the fresh fruits in season during this time of year, which are surprisingly more plentiful than you might think. Persimmons, with their smooth sweet flesh, are one of my absolute favorite additions to any salad. Look for Fuyu persimmons, the ones that look like orange tomatoes, which are better for eating raw, especially when they are slightly under-ripe and still have a bit of crunch. Peeling them is optional, although I find the skin a bit tough and so will usually take the extra step to do so.
The dressing is a triple-threat of citrus, made with fresh orange juice, orange zest, and a lovely orange champagne vinegar (but you can use regular champagne vinegar as well) whisked with a bit of honey, extra virgin olive oil, and mustard to bring it all together. Might I suggest making a double batch and saving the rest in the fridge for later (it’ll keep in a jar or airtight container for up to a week). You may never buy bottled salad dressing again!
Sprinkled with ruby-like pomegranate arils, studded with segments of juicy citrus, and rounded out with crumbled fresh goat cheese and candied pecans for added sweetness and crunch, this salad is a veritable winter fruit wonderland.
- 6 ounces mixed greens
- 1-2 persimmons, peeled (optional) and sliced
- 1-2 tangerines or other citrus of your choice, peeled and segmented
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate arils (from ½ a pomegranate)
- ½ cup candied pecans
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Citrus vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons Orange Champagne Vinegar, Or champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Finely Grated Orange Zest
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, To taste
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To prepare vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, honey, and mustard in a small bowl until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking vigorously, until smooth and emulsified.
- Store in a lidded jar or airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
Divide greens among serving bowls. Top with slices of persimmon and citrus, a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds, a few candied pecans, and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle with dressing, tossing gently to combine.
Amount Per Serving